1/13/12

Hair oh Hair

Earlier this week I decided that I'm over driving an hour to the hair salon to get my hair flat ironed. I started off 2012 telling myself that I was staying away from the flat iron and pressing comb as much as possible, but a text message I received from my hair stylist earlier this week solidified that decision for me. "Hey, see you at 1:30 and your hair is gonna be $65.00". $65.00? for a flat iron? That's just madness and in 2012 I'm staying away from madness. My stylist has been charging me $55.00 for as long as I can remember, and now, all of a sudden, the price has randomly increased by $10.00 - and trust me, $10.00 is not going to break my bank, but I'm just not interested in spending $130 + mileage every month to travel the 110 miles (round trip ) to the salon I go to.

So, now I'll be continuing on my hair journey and finding ways to decrease the amount of heat I put on my hair while experimenting with braid outs, twist outs, etc. The whole "going natural" craze is typically geared toward girls who have gone from relaxed hair to wearing their hair in it's "natural" state, but it's equally as challenging to step away from the flat iron and try new things with un-relaxed, difficult to manage hair. I've invested countless hours to watching YouTube videos on styling natural hair, and I've even experimented with a few styles - now I'll be doing that a lot more regularly. I have just about every hair product known to man, from puddings to souffle's and milks, denman brushes, and clips, bobby pins. .. the list goes on and on. I'm not saying that I'll never sit in my stylists chair again or that I'll never get my hair flat ironed or weaved, but I can think of a lot more useful things to do with $65.00. Not to mention I invested 200.00 on an GHD flatiron which is the same brand my stylist uses on my hair. I'll be whippin' that bad boy out if I feel the need for some Hawaiian silky hair.

Here are some pictures of me and my hair over the years. I'll continue experimenting and updating you all.
Cheers!


Photobucket

1 comment :